Thursday, January 21, 2010

Whole Wheat Red Carbonara



I apologize in advance to all my carb-free friends, but I lurves mah pasta. I don't cook often, so that's why you're seeing two recipe posts so close together. Mom says "If you can read, you can cook." I think I'm starting to believe that. Enjoy!
  • 1 lb whole wheat penne rigate
  • 1 jar spaghetti sauce of your choice (recommend vodka or four-cheese)
  • 6 slices bacon, uncooked
  • 2 green onions
  • 1/2 sweet onion
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • finely shredded parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
  • kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chop sweet onion, green onions, and bacon. Begin cooking pasta as directed. Place bacon in 13" iron skillet on high heat and heat through, not until crispy. Move bacon to side and add garlic, onions, and seasoning. Cook until onions are sautéed. Pour and stir sauce into mixture, reducing heat to medium-low to heat through. When pasta is cooked and drained, return to pot.

Serve by putting pasta in dish/bowl, then add sauce on top with liberal sprinkle of shredded parmesan and parsley. Serves 4.

3 comments:

  1. *Pouts* You will make this again...and this time--save me some. And if you're referring to Alie, she could low carb this recipe in a flash LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, must admit, you even out-did my cooking with this one! Makes note: Show Neal the cookbooks, he really can read and cook! LMAO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, she probably could low-carb it, but then it would just be sauce.
    Not that I mind sauce. Sauce is sauce-some.
    [/bad puns]

    ReplyDelete