Monday, January 25, 2010

Stephen Baldwin: Our New Kirk Cameron

We all know that fundies say the darndest things. Recently, on Freethought RI, we played a clip of him on Celebrity Big Brother (UK) saying something stupid about evolution, and then Richard Dawkins promptly, elegantly, and succinctly refuting every word. (Man, he's good at that.)

In response, the Guardian has posted a short list of Comfort-esque quotes heard from Baldwin himself. A few of them are comical, but the majority of them are pretty sad. We'll be keeping an eye on more quotables from this "dude".

TO BONO
You'd do far more good if you just preached the gospel of Jesus rather than trying to get rid of Third World debt relief [sic] (2005)

Really, Steve? Religion is one of the major causes of third-world debt to begin with. Why is it that fundamentalists feel the need to exploit the crises of others with pushing their superstitious agenda?

ON THE 2008 ELECTION
I believe John McCain is going to be the next president of the United Straights [sic]… If Barack Obama is elected, I'll be moving out of the country (2008)

Good. Then we don't want you here. Go be a right-wingnut somewhere else.

This last one just scares me, as it should scare anyone with more than one brain cell.
ON TRUTH
If someone pointed a machine gun at my daughter and said: "Say 'Jesus doesn't exist'" and if she turned to me and asked: "What do I do?", I'd say: "What have I taught you to do?" And she'd say: "Jesus absolutely exists." And I'd see her in heaven (2010)

If someone pointed a machine gun at my son and said "Say you believe in God," and I were presented with this situation, you bet your ass I'd tell him to say just that. The thing about martyrs is that you have to die to become one. Just because my son says something doesn't mean he automatically believes it. Life is much more important than superstition. Matthias is getting karate lessons anyway... not only would he come out of that situation unscathed, but he would have disarmed the man and delivered a roundhouse kick to his neck.

I just can't believe that there are people out there who would actually do the same thing that Stephen would in this kind of situation; these people, in my opinion, are morally bereft. Ironic, considering these are probably the same people who think that they own the rights on "family values".

No comments:

Post a Comment