Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Philosophy of the Red Mage

Across the internet, I'm known as Reverend Red Mage. This isn't exactly a well-kept secret, but that doesn't matter. This is one of my first real blog entries.

Having said that, I want to explain the mentality behind choosing this alias.

The first part, obviously, is "Reverend". I'm not an ordained minister. Hell, I'm not even reverent; most people who know me will tell you that I'm the most irreverent person they know. I'm an atheist; I don't believe in any gods of any sort. But that's it. The title was originally meant as satire, but I kind of like the non-satirical connotations of it as well. I guess I 'revere' that which existentially piques my curiosity and leaves me in a state of wonder.

The "Red Mage" part is indeed a Final Fantasy reference; it refers to a job class that a character may have (specifically in the first game of the collection). The Red Mage is sort of a jack-of-all-trades, but a master of none. Sort of like me.

The Red Mage can cast black magic, or offensive, spells. I have my special talents, and they're sufficiently effective. At the end of the day, they get the job done. He also has the capability of casting white magic, or restorative, spells. I consider myself to be generous in every sense of the word, and I can be amicable and helpful when I choose to be.

Despite the Red Mage's flexibility, his defense is low. I have my own personal issues and closet skeletons. I have my own personality flaws, and some of them can be debilitating to my cause. The things I desperately want to be good at, I never will, and it only makes me more upset.

I think I'm sufficiently useful and a productive member of society. I'm not the best fit for all situations, but I know that the Red Mage is, and will always be, a valuable asset to any adventuring party through this crazy ride we call life.

No comments:

Post a Comment