Thursday, May 10, 2012

Obligatory NC Amendment Apoplectic Fit

I feel privileged to know every single person that has the ability to see this post. Because NOBODY on my friends list has made a timeline/wall post in SUPPORT of the amendment passed in NC. For that, you keep my faith in humanity leveled. If you do support it, though, leave your reason why in the comments so I can tear you a new asshole.

This is a fight that has just begun. We may be winning so far in RI, but the battle is lost in other parts of our country. Now we know that our President is behind those who stand for human rights. Flush the bigots and the homophobes out of the woodwork. For everyone on your Facebook/Twitter list that has supported NC’s decision, call them out. Get people riled up.

We need to appeal this decision; human rights is not a matter of voting. I didn’t vote on your marriage; we don’t call it “heterosexual” marriage. As Aziz Ansari so eloquently put it, let’s face it. If you’re still against gay marriage at this point, you just plain don’t like gay people, and you want to “stick it” to ‘em. That’s all there is to it.

Within the past couple of years, two of my cousins have stepped out of the closet, and I could not be more proud of them. I hope that they never had any doubt in their mind that I nor anyone in our family would reject or disown them; we love them just the way they are, and it’s not “unnatural” or an “abomination”. And I know that they have the power and the social graces that are necessary to make a stand.

I sincerely hope that marriage equality will become a societal norm long before I die. Personally, I refuse to get married until everyone in this state has the right to marry who they choose. Until then, I stand with many others both in cyberspace and reality who are defending reason and human rights. Sure, it’s a bit of slacktivism, but awareness is the first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment