Thursday, August 4, 2011

A Vote of No Confidence

As a wallaby I once knew said, “Moving Day… is a very dangerous day.”

This past weekend has been a busy one in the sweltering heat; it drained me of my finances, my physical energy, any trace of optimism, and quite possibly what you could call my spirit. After this weekend and all it encompassed, a previous facebook post I made rings true; from this point forward, I’m not going to assume that any new people I meet are actually competent.

To make a long story short, I assisted a friend of mine, Alison, in moving from Burlington, CT to a condo in Norwich, CT, where from this point forward I will be residing with her, my girlfriend, and my son. Oh, and three cats, two of which are deathly afraid of me. (They should be.) It was necessary, but as fate would have it the move was on the hottest weekend of the summer, so it was a sweat-stained affair to do all this.

With our wallets drained, I’m afraid that being able to feed my family is going to be rather difficult with what little food we have and with what money we owe that is due two weeks from now. I’m sure many people around me will say “I’m sure you’ll be fine” or something similar, but I only wish I shared the same kind of foolish optimism.

We moved into a 3-floor condo on the outskirts of downtown Norwich. When we arrived, the place was filthy. Carpets weren’t vacuumed, toilets weren’t working, and things were just all-around busted. Poor Jennifer has to now waste time taking care of things that should have been done before we set foot in the door. As stated previously, it’s fucking hot. The central air cooling our abode would have been nice, had it been working for the past 3 days.

Then Comcast shows up to hook up our cable connection. Great, except that there are no settings to configure closed captioning, which is a must considering that Alison is Deaf. Even someone as technically oriented as me couldn’t figure it out.

On top of that, everything just seems to be going… wrong, you know? And I’m not the kind of person who can keep their chin up that easily. I have a positive charge, which means I only seem to attract negative things. I don’t trust anybody, and to be honest I think that’s for mostly good reasons.

Maybe this move will be a good thing. I’ll tell you one thing, though… don’t color me surprised if it isn’t.

1 comment: